Zesty Sweet Potatoes
Zesty Sweet Potatoes Not your average twice-baked!
You will need:
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (or "yams")
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup grated fresh cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded & diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- Toasted pecans, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Prick potatoes with a fork in a couple of places. On a sheet tray, bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until “fork tender”.
When the potatoes are done, allow them to cool for 10 minutes. Slice each potato in half lengthwise and scoop out most of the flesh into a bowl, while leaving the skin intact (leaving about ¼ of flesh in skin). Place the potato shells in a baking dish and set aside. Mash the sweet potato flesh lightly with a fork, along with the butter and low fat sour cream. Stir in 1/4 cup of the cheddar cheese, the scallions, pecans, jalapeno, cayenne and allspice; then season with the salt and pepper, to taste. Refill the shells with the potato mixture, mounding it slightly. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese on top of the potato filling. Bake until heated through, about 25 minutes.